Saturday 14 May 2011

Cause I'm leaving on a jetplane

First of all thanks for all the congrats!

Looking through my facebook (which I never do) and seeing people who entered U. Waterloo with me in my program and what they are doing now or this coming fall it’s amazing to see how many different paths they are all taking. It’s not as simple as, school, get degree, get career anymore. I have friends in places like Australia and England finishing up their education. Got more people from my program who graduted but continuing education as a nurse or physicians assistant. And ofcourse the many people who are still searching for what to do next.

I’ve wanted to get into medical school for awhile and now that I have it feels surreal. I don’t know what else to do this summer. I spent the summer so far just worrying about getting in or not. I honestly don't feel like partying/getting drunk/getting high or whatever. If anything, I want to go sky diving (done already but I'll go again), white water rafting (done already but I'll go again), bungee jumping, eat fugu. I don't know lol, I feel like doing something adventurous. In the meantime I guess I'll just longboard.

I do wish I smartened up and didn’t slack my first couple years of university and maybe I wouldn’t have had to go to a medical school in the Caribbean (Ross University) but seeing as this is possibly my last and only chance it is one I am going to take. 16 months on the island of Dominica doesn’t sound too bad, and after that there are clinical rounds all over the states including many in chicago (I WANT), new york, miami, and they had a couple placements back in Canada. I know Caribbean medicals schools have a negative stigma about them especially compared to Canadian ones. I know that this will drive me to become an even better doctor to prove all of them wrong.

To all those still working and searching for what to do next. You guys are in my prayers (Seriously, I've been going to church everyday since last wednesday)and I know with the amount of work you guys are putting in, it will soon pay off.

"If I have seen further, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"

Without the people I have known and spent time with at UW. None of this would be possible. Thanks for the congratulations but more importantly thank you for making UW what it was and playing a role in making this dream possible.

1 comment:

  1. How bout rock climbing? Also I'm down to do some bungee Jumping! ahah pause.

    http://www.bungee.ca/

    ReplyDelete